As pet owners, we’ve all had that moment where we catch our pet chewing something unidentified. After some investigating, you may find out it is something harmless after all, but the thought remains: what if it was something harmful? As humans, we tend to learn what substances to avoid ingesting, but our pets may not know the difference. Sometimes we might even unknowingly give them something that could potentially be dangerous for them. That’s why March is National Poison Awareness month! This month at Humboldt Pet Supply, we will be posting informational articles about the various foods and substances that can harm our pets. Below is a list of common household items that are poisonous to pets. You can take the list and post it somewhere for easy reference.
Alcohol - Can cause alcohol poisoning quickly which leads to liver dam age and cardiac arrest.
Avocado - Contain persin, which causes vomiting and diarrhea.
Chocolate - Contains theobromine and caffeine which cannot be metabolized by dogs as fast as humans can, thus becoming toxic.
Coffee grounds - Pets are more sensitive to caffeine than humans are and ingesting moderate amounts of coffee grounds can lead to death.
Cherries - Cherries contain cyanide which prevents cells from getting oxygen.
Grapes - Extremely toxic and can cause acute kidney failure
Onions - Chemicals in onions cause the destruction of red blood cells and cause anemia especially in cats, but also in dogs.
Tea - The caffeine in tea bags can be toxic to pets if consumed.
Tomatoes - The green parts of tomatoes contain solanine which is toxic to dogs in large quantities.
Cleaning supplies - Household cleaners such as varnish, window cleaner, and soap can be toxic if consumed by pets.
Fertilizer - Can contain chemicals and insecticides that are harmful for pets if consumed.
Pest Poisons - Insecticides and rodent poisons can be dangerous if a pet is exposed to them directly or if they eat an animal that has died from these poisons.
Medications - Medications for both pets and humans can be easily accessible if not stored in a secure place.
Plants - Household plants like lilies, daffodils, cannabis, azaleas and tulips contain chemicals that are toxic to pets, especially cats.
String - While not directly poisonous, ingested string can cause complications.
If you suspect that your pet has ingested something poisonous, contact your vet immediately.
ASPCA Poison Control (888) 426-4435 or Pet Poison Helpline at (855) 764-7661