This is the second installment of our pet poisons list for National Poison Awareness month. This this time around, we're listing outdoor poisons. As pet owners, we’ve all had that moment where we catch our pet chewing something unidentified. After some investigating, you may find out it is something harmless after all, but the thought remains: what if it was something harmful? As humans, we tend to learn what substances to avoid ingesting, but our pets may not know the difference. Sometimes we might even unknowingly give them something that could potentially be dangerous for them. Below is a list of common outdoor items that are poisonous to pets. You can take the list and post it somewhere for easy reference.
Cocoa Bean Mulch - Commonly used in household gardening, cocoa bean mulch utilizes the remnants of cocoa bean shells. While this mulch might not have the full potency of a piece of chocolate or full cocoa bean, it still contains methylxanthine, and can ultimately be highly toxic for your pet.
Compost - Decaying and composting plant and food materials can create tremorgenic mycotoxins, which are toxic to both household pets and wildlife.
Blue-Green Algae (Cyanobacteria) - Blue-green algae can accumulate in both fresh and salt water, and becomes increasing dangerous when it accumulates on the surface of water. It can contain both hepatoxins and neurotoxins, and can potentially kill an animal within 24-hours.
Slug & Snail Bait - The active ingredients in these products is normally metaldehyde, which is toxic to all species of animal especially dogs.
Blood Meal - This fertilizer contains very high levels of nitrogen which can cause severe vomiting and diarrhea. It also can lead to pancreatitis, and if fortified with iron iron toxicity can occur.
Bone Meal - Bone makes this fertilizer very yummy to your pet, but if ingested it can actually form a cement-like ball in your pet’s stomach, which can lead to a gastrointestinal blockage.
Mushrooms - While mushroom toxicity is a more rare occurrence if poisonous mushrooms are ingested liver failure can quickly follow suit.
Plant Fertilizers - Some fertilizers contain organophosphates like disulfoton, which can kills a 55 pound dog with as little as 1 teaspoon.
Road Salt and Ice Melting Products - While these products make life a little easier for humans, in the winter they wreak havoc on our pet’s paws. These products can cause cracked and burning paws, and if licked off they can cause inflammation and irritation in your pet’s mouth and digestive systems. If copious amounts are ingested over time degenerative diseases have been known to occur.
ASPCA Poison Control (888) 426-4435 or Pet Poison Helpline at (855) 764-7661